Associate Dean for Undergraduate Research and the Honors College
John and Rebecca Moores Professor
Cullen College of Engineering
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
University of Houston
Stuart Long, associate dean of undergraduate research and the Honors College, also holds the position of academic adviser for all Honors students majoring in electrical and computer engineering. He regularly teaches the undergraduate introductory course in electromagnetic waves, and his research involves antenna design and applied electromagnetics. He received his doctorate from Harvard University.
Long has been a faculty member in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at UH for the past 47 years.
In 2009, he was named the first recipient of the UH Career Teaching Excellence Award, and in 2010 he received the Esther Farfel Award, the highest faculty award given at the University.
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Fellow, IEEE, 1991
- Distinguished Lecturer, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society, 1992-1994
- Millennium Medal, IEEE, 2000
- Fluor-Daniel Faculty Excellence Award, College of Engineering, University of Houston, 2006
- Outstanding Service Award, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society , 2007
- Esther Farfel Award, University of Houston, 2010
- White House Award for President’s Higher Education Community Service, 2013
- IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society John Kraus Award, 2014
- IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Chen-To Tai Distinguished Educator Award 2018
- Applied Electromagnetics
- Dielectric resonator, and wire antennas
- Millimeter wave guiding structures and radiators
- Reduced surface wave microstrip antennas
- Engineering education and outreach
- Retention and recruiting of engineering students